Creative Arts Program
Providing an innovative and fun approach to music therapy for individuals of all ages with behavioral, social, psychological, communication, physical and motor/cognitive functioning issues in Wesley Family Services facilities. A referral is not required for enrollment.
- 100 Emerson Lane, Suite 1525, Bridgeville, PA 15017
- 6401 Penn Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15206
- 211 Huff Avenue, Greensburg, PA 15601
- 106 Laird Street, Greensburg, PA 15601
- 521 Plymouth Street, Greensburg, PA 15601
- 314 S. Water Street, Kittanning, PA 16201
- 4250 Old William Penn Highway, Monroeville, PA 15146
- 310 Central City Plaza, New Kensington, PA 15068
- 104 Beta Drive, Pittsburgh, PA 15238
- 615 Alpha Drive, Suite 250, Pittsburgh, PA 15238
- 335 E. 4th Avenue, Tarentum, PA 15084
- 201 Corbet Street, Tarentum, PA 15084
- 90 West Chestnut Suite 200EW, Washington, PA 15301
- 243 Johnston Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15241
- 5250 Caste Drive, Pittsburgh, PA 15236
- 16055 Perry Highway, Wexford, PA 15090
- 221 Penn Avenue, Wilkinsburg, PA 15221
Our Creative Arts Program has redefined the traditional therapeutic setting to include not only children, youth, and adults, but also invites the participation of families as well. Through the combination of art, dance/movement, drama, music, and digital storytelling, the expressive arts support the potential for positive developmental outcomes. Reaching beyond the barriers of social, communicative, and cognitive limitations, music therapy offers individuals with disabilities a means to develop skills that can be used in everyday life. Through music therapy, individuals can identify and manage various emotional states and can pursue opportunities for creativity and self-expression.
Our program serves as a valuable force in helping individuals and families in therapeutic, rehabilitative, community or educational settings foster health, communication and expression. Board Certified Music Therapist, Katie Harrill, coordinates and directs services along with her talented staff of Creative Arts facilitators.
Our program works to facilitate the development of many therapeutic goals, such as:
- Encouraging the self-expression of thoughts and feelings
- Promoting a sense of independence and feelings of control
- Improving sense of self worth
- Improving emotional self-regulation
- Improving self-efficacy
- Improving the creative process of cause/effect problem-solving in the context of play
- Facilitating social skills including sharing, interacting appropriately with others, taking turns, and responding in an acceptable manner
- Developing and improving fine motor skills including grasping, use of the wrist and fingers, and facial movements such as winking
- Building frustration tolerance including the ability to adjust to changes in routine
- Developing and improving gross motor skills such as directionality, balance, coordination, and walking.
The Expressive Arts can make the difference between passivity and productivity. Through the arts individuals have the opportunity to experience the success of the arts. Our therapists structure sessions to reinforce cognitive, motor, and daily living skills. Our staff provides and reinforces social skills development and has clients work together in group settings. Because our program is unique, it allows individuals to work at their own pace and skill level and ultimately build self-esteem.
Individual must be the 8 months of age and older
Individual has reliable transportation to the various group and individual opportunities available at Wesley Family Services
Parents and other individuals involved in a client's treatment are welcome to observe and/or assist during sessions
For information like dates and times for when the classes are offered and to enroll your child, please contact:
Centralized Admissions Department
Or use the Get In Touch form on this page.